Oh my, that was a blast! Last night I was allowed to run a data model design session at the London Admins’ Trailblazer Community group, and I for one think it was a great success. The idea of the session was to give a brief introduction to the TCG (Trailblazer Community Group) App and then chair a group discussion on how a data model might evolve from the requirements (and assumptions), and I can just say it far exceeded my expectations.
We walked through the various factors that go into making decisions around forming a data model, and how in some instances there isn’t one-clear right answer. We spoke about lookup vs master-detail relationships, chatted through reporting restrictions, mulled over standard vs custom objects, and spent quite some time going over the use of junction objects.
I do hope the session brought some value to the attendees, as I for one made many notes on things to read-up on, and not only in terms of the objects, but also regarding some requirements, and the next steps.
Here, in all their rough glory, are the notes I’ve made.
- Support for Virtual venue
- Master -> Detail – restrictions on types/number of relationships based upon object (types)
- Standard Event – has auto archive rules and other things to be aware of
- Event types
- Meetup style
- Look into campaign standard object – where would/could we use this?
- Look into OppContactRoles
- Use of Opportunity instead of EventSponsor
- Use OppContactRoles to assign Sponsor contact / Venue Contact etc
- Use of parent accounts; Don’t have a venue, use accounts
- ACRs – know which contact to need for venue/sponsor (could be same or different)
- Would let us have a Sponsor (Account) contact also related to a Venue Account
- Log who (people in the ecosystem) knows about about specific stuff, who CGLs have asked to speak, and about X?
- What replaces tags? (Gemma: in the Architects Club they have an object for skills) – Poss use NPSP, as they have this – or now topics?
- Assets library (recordings, decks, etc)
- Communities access – talk submissions/feedback
- Think about a single instance for all CGLs to use – would mean one org, but more licenses, can we approach SF about this. Would mean a super-admin, some folk running this
Would mean sharing available of talks / sponsors / contacts
- What about the Events mngmt app from Salesforce Labs – more aimed towards conferences?
- Also been approached about Open Commons from .org… very exciting
- Next Steps
- Look into NPSP, feedback from other CGLs on chatter / twitter
- Rework ERD
- Perhaps an open vid call to have input from other CGLs
- Prob should write a V2MOM – perhaps use github wiki for this?
- Think about KPIs, metrics, and designs
As you can see, I have quite a few next steps… and I’ve also been approached by a few folk in the success community to chat too.